Farm Runners is currently hiring for a new Deli Chef
The mission of The Farm Runners Station is to provide the North Fork Valley with access to food grown by local family farmers in a convenient and welcoming environment. We aim to help our community connect to their farmers and the agricultural tradition of our valley while increasing the sales of locally grown and produced food products.
The Deli Chef is responsible for pursuing the mission of Farm Runners Station through the deli program. They will do this by producing consistent quality menu options that prioritize and highlight local ingredients. This role combines the functions of kitchen manager, head chef, and production cook in a fast paced and small kitchen. Unlike most restaurant and food service jobs, the Farm Runners Station menu is updated weekly to best utilize seasonal ingredients and minimize waste from the retail department. To succeed in this position you must be adaptive, creative and enjoy change.
Workload: 40-45 hours per week
Schedule: 4-5 days/week; flexible, task-oriented
Pay: Salary or Hourly Pay option
Start Date: ASAP
Benefits: Complimentary weekly local food box + ability to purchase food at cost. Wellness
reimbursement plan starting at 6 months of employment. Paid time off based on hours worked starting
1 year after employment.
Our Ideal Candidate Is:
● Team oriented and able to demonstrate an understanding of how each team member’s
contribution helps to fulfill the mission of Farm Runners
● Well-organized, detail-oriented and able to multitask
● Effective at problem solving/decision making, with willingness to ask questions and seek advice
● Capable of giving and receiving feedback, building relationships, and resolving conflicts
● Upbeat and flexible. Able to keep personal composure under busy and chaotic circumstances.
● Passionate about local agriculture, local food, and cooking. Preferred: experience working on (or
with) small family farms.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with the Farm Runners Station management team to plan weekly menus and cross-utilize product from other departments.
- Leads the preparation and execution of a weekly menu, producing constantly high quality dishes in an efficient manner.
- Follows existing standard operating procedures (SOPs) and recipes for deli program staples.
- Creates, maintains and improves standard operating procedures (SOPs) for kitchen related work
- Maintains a clean and sanitary kitchen, following food safety regulations.
- Manages and trains other kitchen staff, establish working schedule and assess staff’s performance
- Ensures effective communications between kitchen and front-of-house staff.
- Order supplies to stock inventory appropriately
- Maintains a positive and professional approach with coworkers and customers
- Works with Station management team to track food and supply costs and set menu pricing.
- 3 or more years of cooking and management experience in the food industry
- Proven experience in tracking, analyzing, and controlling food and labor costs
- Understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in Google docs & spreadsheets a plus
Physical Demands/Work Environment
- Able to lift 40 pounds
- Able to be on your feet for 8 hours at a time
- Can work long shifts that require standing/walking/bending throughout shift
Please follow these steps to apply:
- Email: email@example.com with the subject line: Team Opening
- Write a brief statement of why you are a good fit for this position.
- Write a brief statement of why you are passionate about local foods.
- Attach a resume and contact information for 3 references.
- Answer the question: If you were going to cook a meal for our crew tonight, what would it be?
Position to be filled as soon as possible. Apply today!